Asian art

If you have a comment, complaint, or a suggestion for how we can improve, please post here.
Customer
Advanced Member

Asian art

Post by Customer » May 17, 2008 10:49 am

I am a lover of Chinese art and have recently been searching for items to decorate my home in an classy Chinese theme which is hard to do because most items I have stumbled on look like they belong in a cheap restaurant, lol. I was so pleased to stumble on to your web site. You have some amazing pieces of art in your site and I am hoping to become a frequent customer soon.

Sincerely,
Wil

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 17, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks for the kind words.

It's really about the effort we put into this. I travel via trains, planes, rented motorcycle, and other methods up to 8000 miles per year within China (not counting flights between China and the USA). All of this to seek out good artwork from non-famous artists (finding skilled, but non-famous artists is one way we keep the price low). We run our own artwork mounting shop, which means we build all of our own wall scrolls by hand. That way, we can keep quality high, and again, keep the price low. Most of my artist-friends that I buy artwork from, open their homes to me, so I end up sleeping on their spare bed. That's the way it's done in China, and also saves a bunch in hotel costs (and saves you money).

We're also not pricing our artwork for maximum profit, as I am not trying to get rich, but rather just make enough to feed my family and keep a roof over our heads. Sometimes other websites and galleries have similar artwork from the same artists for $300, when my price is under $100. After all the expenses, I put about $20 in my pocket at a $100 selling price. Apparently they feel that $220 should be the net profit.

On a side note, I once bought one of those $300 paintings to see what the differences were. I was suspicious, so I took the painting to the artist, who immediately identified it as a forgery of her work. The silk mounting quality was also not nearly as good as ours.

On the downside, we are very understaffed for how much business we do. This means I work no less than 70 hours per week, but again, it keeps our costs and thus, the price of the artwork down as well.

So now you know all the secrets.

Cheers,
-Gary.

wilv
Advanced Member

Re: Asian art

Post by wilv » May 18, 2008 12:56 pm

I am a lover of Chinese art and have recently been searching for items to decorate my home in an classy Chinese theme which is hard to do because most items I have stumbled on look like they belong in a cheap restaurant, lol. I was so pleased to stumble on to your web site. You have some amazing pieces of art in your site and I am hoping to become a frequent customer soon.

Sincerely,
Wil
Hey I'm flattered that you posted my email, hehe

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Sometimes, when the topic is worth mentioning or showing to others, or when I spend a lot of time replying, I post the exchanges on our forum.

You can usually tell when I've done that, as the username will be "Customer".

Cheers,
-Gary.

jsrsolution

hey

Post by jsrsolution » Aug 18, 2008 7:58 am

hey,

I am also too much lover of Chinese art :D and for searching i have been visited to china as well as united states. there i got most of the art lovers. there people are mostly love art like SPAM LINK REMOVED. which was there one of the fav art. there i saw people decoratye there room or house with pop art. which was too much cheep.

Sincerely,
jsrsolutions

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Aug 18, 2008 12:07 pm

To: jsrsolution

You must follow the rules. There is a place for artwork sales and gallery/business listings on our forum. Use those, and advertise openly.

Do not try to sneak a link into a post that is supposed to appear that you are really commenting on the subject.

If you spam again, you will be banned!

-Gary.