Looking for a Scroll

Other Chinese or Japanese calligraphy issues that does not seem to fit any of the categories above.
Forward Mutero

Looking for a Scroll

Post by Forward Mutero » Jul 27, 2012 6:35 am

I am currently working on a project that needs the use of a scroll that is 100meters X 2meters. Are there any companies that produce such giant scrolls in large scale

Kind regards

Forward

Gary
The Boss

Re: Looking for a Scroll

Post by Gary » Jul 28, 2012 8:39 pm

That would be a lot of splices or paper joints, as the largest regular paper size is about 68cm x 136cm.

It would be hard to make, and nearly impossible to ship via mail. Can you come to Beijing to pick it up?

-Gary.

Forward Mutero

Post by Forward Mutero » Jul 29, 2012 5:36 am

Dear Gary

How durable can you make it. Is it possible to roll I and put it in a container and ship . Can we take it to email so I can fully explain the idea behind. My email is forward@yo.co.zw

Forward

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 30, 2012 11:33 am

The whole idea of a scroll is that it can be rolled up. But yours will probably be 20-30cm in diameter.

However, one of the size you are talking about could never be hung up. You'd probably only be able to display parts of this at a time on a table.

I don't have a final price for such a project yet, but I have a range where the final price might fall. It will be between $2500 and $4000. We'd have to shut down and reconfigure our workshop to handle this. The actual job will probably take 3 weeks for 3 workers to complete (about 400 man-hours).

I don't know how we'd ever ship this. So if you can pick it up in Beijing, that's best. I did a rough calculation on what I think this will weight and the dimensions, and it's going to be well over $600 to ship via DHL. We'd also have to build a custom crate (probably out of wood) at additional cost.

As you can see, every aspect of this project will be complicated and expensive. I've got to be honest and say this is not a project I want to undertake. It will mess up our schedule of preparing other customers' artwork, while at the same time there's a good chance I'll lose money on the project.

-Gary.