Korean symbol for Double Happiness?

Other Chinese or Japanese calligraphy issues that does not seem to fit any of the categories above.
Customer
Advanced Member

Korean symbol for Double Happiness?

Post by Customer » Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm

How can I find the Korean symbol for "double happiness" ... all I ever see is the Chinese symbol? Thank you.

Joie.

Gary
The Boss

Re: Korean symbol for Double Happiness?

Post by Gary » Apr 11, 2012 1:17 pm

囍 Double Happiness
The Chinese symbol is the Korean symbol.

The old written form of the Korean language, used for about 1600 years, was called Hanja. The word Hanja is a Korean word that means "Chinese characters".

Only in the past century have Koreans adopted a new writing system called Hangul. That's the one with the little circles and lines that this generation identifies as "Korean".

Because Hangul is a purely phonetic character set, you can't reliably write "Double Happiness" in Hangul.
The Hangul would be 희, however, this Hangul can also mean hope, Greece, sigh, joke, bright, sacrifice, sparse, and a few other words.
Hangul really needs context (to be written in a sentence) to know what word you are trying to express.

Chinese characters (and Korean Hanja) represent meanings rather than pronunciation. Therefore, there's less ambiguity.

If you go to a traditional Korean wedding, you will see the Korean Hanja (Chinese character) for Double Happiness. It's one of the Hanja characters that's among the most common to still see in modern South Korea.

Please note that Korean Hanja characters are banned in North Korea. I doubt you'll see it at a North Korean wedding.

-Gary.